Professional Scrum Master Certification is a certification offered to individuals who intend to work in an Agile Scrum environment. The course helps the professionals understand the fundamental principles of Scrum and the specific role of a Scrum Master. A PSM’s job is to lead a Scrum team and provide them with an environment where they are most effective. A Scrum Master should be able to clear any obstacles so that his/her team can provide a quality product in a short span of time. PSM ensures a good relationship between the Product Owner and the team, while also handling other people outside the team so that their team is not distracted or interrupted.
In the last few years, many companies are adapting to the Scrum framework. It is because the Scrum framework allows the companies to create a methodology required for developing complex products. Setting up an Agile mindset within the team and the organization is the task of a Professional Scrum Master. With an Agile mindset and Scrum framework, the resources of an organization are retained, and it creates a more efficient work environment. An efficient work environment leads to successful project outcomes, thus adapting to the fast-changing requirements of the stakeholder.
A PSM certification is acquired by passing an examination organized by Scrum.Org. To understand the structure of the examination and the difficulty level, one could attend PSM training courses. However, attending the training is not necessary, it will be helpful to enhance or deepen your knowledge of the Scrum framework and its applications. The PSM certification test consists of two levels. PSM I and PSM II. Industry experts claim that the PSM is not an easy exam to pass in comparison with other programs and requires determination for one to attain the certification.
The candidates could attend a two-day Instructor-led training session. In these sessions, the instructors provide the candidates with the study material and mock tests that resemble the ones in the actual Scrum.Org tests. The trainers for the training sessions are certified by the Professional Scrum Trainers program of Scrum.Org. The training deepens the servant-leadership skills and behavioral shifts so that the candidates master the Scrum framework and its applications. During the training, the participants are given team-based exercises and real-world case studies that are required to solve them in an intimate, stringent environment. Acquiring a PSM certification undoubtedly indicates that as a Scrum Master, the certified personnel can work in competitive situations.
How a PSM certification can be helpful in a career?
After attaining a Scrum Master certification, one could expect to earn up to six figures as a Scrum master in an organization. Teamwork is invaluable in Scrum, as the team is expected to deliver a product within the shortest amount of time possible, an error-free product. A Scrum master makes sure that the Scrum team follows the steps that they agreed to follow. A Scrum Master can report any disruption or distraction that is being caused to their team so that the team can solely focus on a product. As the Scrum Master works with a team to achieve the desired outcome, they are extremely valuable to an organization.
Some of the major benefits of a PSM certification are:
- Commitment: Having a certification will demonstrate your investment and commitment to your learning.
- Acquire the skills of Scrum: While training for PSM certification, the candidates either brush up on their basic Scrum framework skills or learn new ones. This leads them to apply the knowledge of the Scrum framework effectively when they acquire a job in an organization. The certification ensures the confidence and motivation for managing large teams and implementing Scrum across different departments. Implementation Scrum guarantees cost and time-effective outcomes.
- Change of mindset: For an agile methodology to work at full capacity, having an Agile mindset is substantial. So how does one get an Agile mindset? It comes from mastering the Scrum framework and the training courses before PMS exams. Having a PMS certification can take a person further up their career, by applying all the learned Agile skills and Scrum framework in an organization.
- Avoid challenges and obstacles: Implementing the Scrum framework at different levels of programs is useful to avoid risks and thus manage the costs of the risk. At any organization, having a Scrum Master ensures the high success of Scrum implementation.
- Enhance team collaboration: A PSM can successfully enhance team collaboration at various stages of product development. It also can help them collaborate with teams of different departments; ensure a flawless path to achieve a common goal. The organization benefits from the collaboration of different departments, through the successful execution of Scrum and Agile methodologies.
- Career Growth: There is a huge chance of career growth for a Professional Scrum Master. During the PSM certification training, it is inevitable for the candidates to meet other people who are trying to clear the exam as well. So, a small community forms from the training sessions, who later go on to work with some of the leading companies around the world. If a person is not happy with their present organization, they can always seek out to their peers and ask them for a recommendation or vice versa. Many leading companies today are looking for qualified and experienced Scrum Masters, as they adapt to the Scrum framework.
A Professional Scrum Master is responsible for managing the workflow, creating and motivating teams, and handling complex teams. They also ensure that the company has a collaborative project environment. It is their job to maximize business value and promote productivity. As a Professional Scrum Master, you will be a value enabler in the team and a contributor who ensures the success of the project by helping the high-performing teams.
Thus, having a PSM certification can be helpful in enhancing your career opportunities. The certification not only promises a bright career but also a handsome salary. The national average salary for a Scrum Master is ₹14,00,000 in India.